Around the middle of the -seventeenth century, Oostereiland (Eastern Island) was constructed to enlarge the harbour. The merchant Cornelis Schuyt had several warehouses built on the island which form the oldest part of the current building complex. From 1692, the Admiralty of West Friesland and the Northern Quarter was established here with its own shipyard and harbour. For a long time it served as a prison. Today there are apartments, offices, the Museum of the Twentieth Century, the Cinema Oostereiland, the Hotel and Brasserie Oostereiland and the Tourist Information Point.